Wednesday, January 26, 2011

High School Cool Cars

It's not easy being a car guy in High School when you lack a rebellious older brother, a crazy car-guy uncle, or when your parents' idea of a cool car was that mustard-yellow Toyota Corona they used to own in the '70s.

Fortunately, I went to school with a number of guys who had been able to manage a cool car in their driveway, and were willing to let me live vicariously through them.

One of my favorites was a blue '68 Camaro that belonged to my buddy Kurt. It was originally a straight-6 column shift car that he'd dropped a 350 into. It looked awesome. It sounded awesome. And between the horsepower, the lack of seatbelts, and that crazy over-boosted GM steering pump, it was one of the hairiest cars to drive. But it had muscular curves, and I loved drooling all over it. Sorry about the paint, Kurt.

There was a guy in my homeroom named Michael, aka "Wolfman". He was a scary-looking dude, complete with long hair and a Fu Manchu moustache. I don't think he never liked me much, but he had an evil black '66 Mustang coupe with a 351 Windsor stuffed into it with a four speed and open exhaust. He and the car looked the part together, and he either drove it at full-throttle, or it was parked - there was no in-between. I'm sure it was one hell of a ride.

Another guy I used to run with was Keith, who owned an early '70s Plymouth Duster. It was olive green inside and out, with Cragar S/S wheels, a 318 automatic and an open diff. How do we know? Because we once made fun of him for doing a peg-leg burnout at McDonald's. Still, the car was cool, and I always think of him when I see one.

Then there was Troy's '77 Camaro. It had a 305 automatic, and was dark blue with dual silver racing stripes. Its most distinctive feature was the shifter - and old B&M unit with a #7 billiard ball on it for the knob.

Another of my favorites belonged to my buddy, Jim. It was an emerald green AMC Rebel SST, and I've never seen another one since. It was a big sedan with a big engine, and it was unmistakable. We took a few road trips in it, and it once seated seven of us with ease. In a moment of weakness, I talked Jim into letting me drive it. At full bore, the throttle stuck open. Jim got on the floor and started pulling at the gas pedal to no avail. Somewhere around 75mph, I put it in neutral and brought it to a stop. The fix? Beat the carburetor linkage with a big hammer. "Just don't go wide open on it again," he said with a grin.

Another guy that didn't care for me much was a jock named Rick. He owned a pretty blue '70 Nova with a lumpy-cammed 327. It looked pro-built, ran 10" tires, and looked to be amazingly fast. I often wonder whatever happened to that car.

There's a sad story about Jeff's '68 Mustang fastback, though. It was a dark blue 302, and he'd upgraded the head unit to an Alpine one. Unfortunately, this was to be the car's undoing. One night, he looked down to change the station, and rear-ended another car. The lovely fastback was totaled on the spot.

One of the really interesting vehicles belonged to a guy named Tom. He had an old, olive green Toyota Land Cruiser. It was fitted with Dana differentials, 35" tires, and a Chevy 327. It was a ridiculously fast death trap, but was one of those truly badass SUVs that any car guy would want to own.

I would eventually get my own V8 muscle car, but I would have still given a right arm for most of these machines. I'm sure that, like my own, they're long since gone. But their awesome memories still linger on in all our psyches.


.

4 comments:

  1. Wow... Totally awesome post c christian! Brought back more than a few awesome memories!!! Dont forget garys black, then repainted yello firebird formula '87. Jeff also had that 88 pontiac gta, husbandry w gold wire wheels snd all those gadgets... In addition to that fastback!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other day I dropped by my mechanic's shop to talk to him about my VW and in the driveway was a BEAUTIFUL 1970 455 Bonneville! It was in mint condition! Matt said that the man was fixing it up because it was his wife's and she passed and he was going to sell it! Well, that was my first car and if I had the money it would have had a new home on the spot! Boy, did that bring back memories! The guys used to beg me to drive it and I could hold 7 easily! Thanks for the memories whoever you are and Thanks Christian for bringing back some of the memories that I had working with my Dad and brother on their cars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss that car. I had a blast (and many scares)driving that thing. It took a long time to used to the pedals so close and the leftover clutch just hanging. I almost killed a bunch of us one day on 49 when I missed the brake pedal and mashed the gas instead.
    I'm not sure who Brent was, but didn't Eber have a 70 Nova with a 327? Your description sounds like his car.
    I remember trying to race Troy one day when I was diving my brother's 91 Camaro. Bill and I followed him home on his rear bumper, and when I gunned the car taking a turn in the avenues, I nearly lost control. Fishtailing back and forth narrowly missing the cars on either side I thought for sure we were going to hit one. Amazingly enough, I was more scared of what my brother was going to do to me if I scratched his car, than what would happen to me or Bill in an accident. I pulled it out, but Bill stopped riding with me for a while. I don't think he talked to me for a week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coolest car I remember cruising in was my buddy's 66 Sunbeam Tiger. I'd never really pegged him for being a car guy, but he managed to come up with this car, used, at a pretty good price. Being the crazy man he was, he managed to blow up the original Ford 260 v8 and promptly replaced it with a HP 289 motor he found in a junkyard. Then things got even crazier. We surprised many a muscle car in that thing. Another nice ride was owned by another friend. 66 Corvair Corsa with a 4-speed. Only rated at 140HP, yet that car performed much better in real life than it should have. Most people's view of that car was the taillights.

    ReplyDelete